Comic Life and using interactive iPads ebooks in the classroom
In the very near future more and more schools and students across the country and in other parts of the world will be using iPads and e-books in the classroom. The iPad is becoming a very useful teaching tool because of the many educational apps that are being introduced. iPad’s built-in accelerometer and high-resolution screen are paving the way to a reading revolution.
Schools Using Comic Life
One such educational iPad app is “Comic Life.” Christopher K. Sokoloy, Director of Technology of San Domenico School, said that “Comic Life” for iPad is everything a teacher needs to create and share comics because of its quirky and fun templates, it’s easy-to-use drag and drop position and its stylized image filters. A teacher will have full control over a huge selection of design of the comics and a wide option when it comes to fonts, colors, captions, gradients, panels, balloons and more. Another plus to Comic Life is its very affordable price of only $4.99.San Domenico School is a school for boys and girls from preschool until grade 8 level and for girls only from high-school. It is the oldest and top independent school in California and is located in Marin County. The school, a recognized leader in education, is the first school in Marin County that developed and included a technology curriculum that is based on a 1-to-1 iPad program.
What can Comic Life do?
Comic Life is an award-winning software for photo comic creation that has been modified for iPads. It is a fast, easy and funny way to create photo comics. It allows teachers and students to do the following:Design and create comics using the quality comic editor
- Read the comics with a built-in e-reader
- Share the comics on Twitter, Facebook and via e-mail
- Print the comics on a wireless network
- Swap comics with iPads of other students through its pioneering In Tray
- Drag and drop aspects of the comic anywhere in their comic page
- Select from full page outlines that include titles, panels and captions and choose a complimentary style to give the comics a more professional look
- Effortlessly add photos from the school’s library with its Place Photo button in the panels
- Rotate and re-size images and clip them in panels together with captions, balloons and lettering
- Coil and position balloon tails accurately with advanced tail controls
- Generate multilayer color gradation to design the perfect lettering style
- Work without being anxious about losing their creation since documents are saved automatically as changes are made
- Use the free from shape drawing tools to create stylish shapes and add them to common shapes to produce any shape or line imaginable
How to use Comic Life
Students and teachers can create comics that will come to life with Comic Life’s integrated reader on the clear and vivid iPad display. They will find it easy to get started with panel layouts and full page templates. A teacher or student can bring in photos from the school library or from Photobooth and they can use the impressive design and editing tools of the app to get the exact look that they want.
With the app’s style and font choices, the entire class can make captions and build titles. On the other hand, the advanced reshape image panel controls will allow them to accurately place balloon tails and create linear and radial color gradations for a flawless lettering style.
Once the comic is finished, they can use a built-in reader to browse through the pages on iPad. Sharing the comic with students from other classes is also made easy using several options such as e-mail, print or upload to Facebook. The app’s new and innovative In Tray feature makes it possible to share a comic created by one class with other classes directly through their iPads. Keeping a classroom tidy and uncluttered as the number of comics created increases is also simple and trouble-free with the app’s comic collection feature.
Since the Comic Life app is designed to be analogous to the iWork suite of apps of Apple, teachers and students will find it easy to switch their skills from Keynote and Pages to Comic Life. It has parallel commands and tap functions that makes it easy and simple for a teacher and their students to create comics for classroom instruction use.